Picasso Pets 2017
We Celebrated the Night in Black & White
Picasso Pets is Hand in Paw's signature annual fundraiser and one of Birmingham's liveliest events. Guests mingled with our star therapy animals, perused a top-notch silent auction, sipped craft beer, wine, and specialty cocktails, and enjoyed delicious Southern cuisine.
This year's event raised $266,738 - a 16% increase from 2016!
This year's paintings raised $28,500!
for Donna Jernigan
Linda Ellen Price
for Kim Wilson
for Marion Marx
The Face of Picasso Pets
Picasso Pets Committee Chairs
Event Chairs: Danielle Yancey, Deanna Pizitz, & Cassie Moore
Sponsorship Chair: John M. Harbert, II
Honorary Chair: Margaret Jones Davis
Animal Chair: Mariela Piola
Art Chairs: Rachel Goodson, Melannie Layne, Joan Stelling, &
Procurement & Silent Auction Chairs:
Bob Stafford, Danielle Yancey, Deanna Pizitz, & Cassie Moore
A very special thanks to all of the dedicated volunteers and committee
members who worked tirelessly on this event. Without you, Picasso Pets
would not be possible.
Auctioneer: Christie King of C. King Benefit Auctions
Emcee: Cassie Moore
Moving Company: Flemming Transfer
On-Site Veterinarian: Dr. Alvin Atlas of Riverview Animal Clinic
Photographers: TNR Creative and Perple Mudd Photography
Video created by: Cameron Cardwell, Gale Force Productions
These Hand in Paw Therapy Teams were available throughout
the event to share about the important work they do.
Live Auction Items
1. Cahaba Brewing Company’s “Brewer for a Day” Package
Ever wondered how beer is made? Maybe you have brewed your own beer at home! With this unique opportunity, bring a friend and join the Cahaba Crew for a full 8-hour brew day to learn how to make one of their specialty small batch beers on their 3.5 bbl system. Become part of the process by deciding what kind of beer to brew based on your preferences, and enjoy the bragging rights and clout when you get to bring your friends to try the beer in the taproom a few short weeks later.
- Swag pack including pint glass, poker chip & hat and/or shirt
- Empty growler to fill with your masterpiece once itís complete - beer not included! :)
- Tour of the 55k square foot brewery, including all the behind the scenes glory
- Lunch at the brewery on brew day
- Ability to bring a friend for the journey (if youíd like)
- Decide what kind of beer to brew on your brew day & what to name it!
- Full 8-hour brew day, sweat not included
- Bragging rights at the brewery for as long as the beer lasts on tap!
*NOTE: The beer brewing experience is for guests 21 years and older. Participants must be able to stand for long periods of time, endure the fluctuating temperatures of the brewhouse and be comfortable with being around heavy-duty machinery. Donít worry ñ you wonít have to drive the fork lift or clean any tanks!
Donated by Cahaba Brewing Company
2. Romantic Russell Lands on Lake Martin Getaway for Two
Package includes two nights at Willow Point Golf & Country Club Villas. Enjoy a Friday night dinner at your dining room of choice at Willow Point Golf and Country Club. The Stone Grille offers a lighter menu of refreshing salads, soups, specialty sandwiches either inside or outside on the veranda with a panoramic view of the championship golf course. The Camellia Room has a more formal setting of casual elegance that boats seasonal foods from both the local area and around the world.
After breakfast at the club on Saturday, enjoy your morning with a pontoon boat cruise through more than 44,000 acres of Lake Martin, the only lake to be designated ìAlabama Treasured Lakeî status. Afterwards, fuel up with lunch at Kowaliga Restaurant so youíll be ready to tee off on ìAmericaís most beautiful lakeside course.î Then, prepare to be spoiled at SpringHouse for dinner. Rising out of the hilltop, SpringHouse treats diners to fresh and seasonal Southern food with a casual, sophisticated elegance.
Sunday morning, stop by Catherineís Market for breakfast on your way to The Stables as you prepare for your guided trail ride through Russell Forest, along the shores of Lake Martin. Youíll finish up just in time for brunch back at SpringHouse to bring your memorable weekend to a close!
Includes one room for two nights, all meals are for two, greens fees and cart fees, and guided horseback tour and boat rental. Meal excludes alcohol. All taxes and gratuity not included. Vessel license required to operate boat. Subject to availability. Expires September 2018.
Donated by Russell Lands, Willow Point Golf & Country Club Villas, & SpringHouse
3. The Pilgrim by Trés Taylor
TrÈs Taylor is a contemporary self-taught painter living in Birmingham. TrÈs was a biochemist for over 20 years, then after a visit with Southern artist R.A. Miller in 1998, he was inspired to begin his journey as a painter. He paints about spiritual seeking, love, peace, and joy. His work can be found in several collections including Dupont Pioneer of Des Moines, IA, the Hurn Museum of Contemporary Folk Art of Savannah, GA, and Childrenís of Alabama. He has shown nationally and internationally, and his work enCHANTment was shown at the Mennello Museum of American Art in Orlando, Florida, in May 2014 and at The Eastern Shore Art Center in Fairhope, AL Dec. 2014.
A 36îx36î work painted with vibrant house paint, The Pilgrim reminds us of our spiritual walk through life, searching for inspiration.
Donated by TrÈs Taylor
4. Panthers Experience
Sunday, November 5th, 2017, Panthers vs. Falcons, noon kickoff. Four (4) Premium Level football tickets in Cam Newtonís personal box. Includes Panthers football signed by Cam Newton and a $500 hotel gift card.
Donated by the Cam Newton Foundation
5. Handcrafted Wine Barrel Chair
This one-of-a-kind Adirondack chair was built with staves from actual wine barrels used by a winery in Napa Valley. The red wine stored in the barrels gives this chair its rich red coloring. The one-inch thick oak staves make this chair extremely sturdy and durable. Each stave being bowed, concaved and tapered make this chair challenging to build, but surprisingly comfortable to sit in. Each chair is unique and handcrafted right here in Alabama. Just like the wine barrels, this chair is built to last and sure to please.
Donated by Trey Poss
6. Brierfield Reserve Quail Experience for Three
Enjoy a quail hunt in a private quail reserve in Brierfield, AL (50 min. south of Birmingham). Includes an afternoon hunt for three (3) with a professional guide. Three (3) guns and well-trained dogs are provided (guest dogs are welcome). Lunch provided along with afternoon refreshments. Valid January 1st, 2018 ñ February 28th, 2018.
Donated by Brierfield Reserve & Gates Shaw
7. Taste of Birmingham
- $250 from Bottega - Dinner for four (4)
- $250 from Chez Fon Fon - Dinner for four (4)
- $250 from Highlands Bar & Grill - Dinner for four (4)
- $250 from Hot & Hot Fish Club - Dinner for four (4)
- $250 from Johnnyís Restaurant, Homewood - Lunch for two (2), once a month, for a year
Excludes alcohol, tax, and gratuity. Not valid on New Yearís Eve or Valentineís Day.
Donated by Bottega, Chez Fon Fon, Highlands Bar & Grill, Hot & Hot Fish Club, & Johnnyís Restaurant
8. Skyline Trip
Fantastic food, world-class shopping, museums, nightlife and an intoxicating atmosphere are just some of the characteristics that define the urban oasis locations included in the Skyline Winnerís Choice. Enjoy a 3-night stay in historic New Orleans, H-O-T Miami, shopperís paradise Chicago or a foodie dream in Montreal.
Each residence accommodates 4 ñ perfect for a family, just the girls/guys or couplesí getaway. The best part about Skyline Winnerís Choice ñ the flexibility to choose your destination after purchasing the trip ñ you have 18 months to decide! In addition to flexibility, take advantage of pre-trip planning services and a local concierge ñ both included with Skyline Winnerís Choice.
- New Orleans, LA: Whether you come to enjoy the famous restaurants, the rich history or the festive music scene and events, a getaway to New Orleans is never the same trip twice. This luxury St. Charles Avenue residence is centrally located in the heart of the trendy Arts & Warehouse district and walking distance to countless restaurants, activities and the French Quarter. A stay can be reserved, based on availability, any time except Mardi Gras (2/2/18 - 2/14/18) and Jazz Fest (5/2/17 - 5/8/17).
- Miami, FL: Miami is a diverse city with something for everyone ñ amazing food and shopping, unparalleled nightlife, diverse cultures, fantastic weather, glamorous beaches, professional sports, great outdoor activities and so much more. This stylish residence is located in the swank W residences in the Brickell area of Downtown Miami and is just steps from a 28,000-square-foot spa and fitness center. A stay can be reserved, based on availability, any time except Christmas and New Yearís.
- Chicago, IL: Located in Chicagoís desirable River North neighborhood is this 2-bedroom residence and perfect example of urban-luxury living. A stunning modern design and sleek touches including stainless steel appliances, chrome fixtures, bamboo floors, exposed ductwork, as well as a rooftop lounge and pool are just a sampling of the features offered. Guests can take full advantage of all the city has to offer with nearby world class dining and shopping.
- Montreal, Canada: This lovely 16th floor residence places you in the middle of the action and excitement of Downtown Montreal. Located in Tour des Canadiens, a brand new 50-story residential building, you can experience the amazing food and exciting events without ever stepping foot outside. Exceptional building amenities coupled with direct access to RESO, Montrealís expansive underground complex, make beating the cold winter weather a breeze. A stay can be reserved, based on availability, any time except Grand Prix week.
The nights must be used during 1 trip. At least one person staying at the residence must be over the age of 25. You have 18 months from the date of purchase to use your Skyline Winnerís Choice. Restricted dates vary based on location and time of year. Airfare is not included.
Donated by Getaway2Give
9. OvenBird All-Inclusive Dinner for 10
Enjoy an all-inclusive dinner for yourself and nine (9) of your closest friends at Chris and Idie Hastingsí OvenBird Restaurant. Gather at the heart of OvenBird, our Hearth Room, for a private dining experience in the light of our live fire grill including a five (5) course menu selected by James Beard award winning Chef Chris Hastings and served family style, delectable wines chosen by our Sommelier, complimentary Miss Cocoís One Lucky Dog Treats, and autographed Hot and Hot Fish Club cookbooks. Simply contact OvenBird for available dates. Your guests will be barking about this meal for years to come.
Donated by OvenBird, Chris & Idie Hastings
10. Premiere Trip
Create your perfect getaway, at the perfect time. Does the sound of a NYC trip get you excited? How about a tropical vacation to Mexico or St. Maarten? What about centering a trip around golf or spa activities with your friends? We believe in having a choice.
Premiere gives you 4 nights in your selection of 8 different city, beach and leisure destinations. We offer top-rated vacation residences complete with full concierge services. Not only do you have the flexibility to choose where you vacation after purchasing Premiere ñ you have 18 months to book your home away from home.
- New York City, NY: This penthouse residence is situated on a quiet, residential street in one of New Yorkís most vibrant and historic neighborhoods. Midtown West boasts a selection of unique restaurants, galleries, lively bars and chic boutiques while also being a short walk from the excitement of Times Square and the Theater district. Without question the most notable feature of this residence, and highly unique for NYC, is the massive private terrace with beautiful city views. A stay can be reserved, based on availability, any time except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Yearís.
- Punta Mita, Mexico: This stunning 4-bedroom villa sits along the 7th fairway of a remarkable resort golf course. Take advantage of the terrific year-round beach weather with true indoor/outdoor living as the walls of the spacious living area disappear and reveal the private heated pool, Jacuzzi, and well-appointed grill and loggia. The convenience and amenities of a private beach club are a quick 3-minute golf cart ride and provide you and the rest of your guests with the option of a private, low-key retreat or a mix-and-mingle experience filled with events and activities. A stay can be reserved, based on availability, any time except Spring Break (3/1 - 4/10), Christmas and New Yearís.
- Sonoma County, CA: This newly remodeled, modern rustic home overlooks an exquisite 36-foot pool with breathtaking views of the Alexander Valley Vineyards beyond. Minutes from the award-winning restaurants and shopping in downtown Healdsburg and steps away from world-renowned tasting rooms and vineyards, this residence is celebrated for its ideal location and accessibility. A stay can be reserved, based on availability, any time except Christmas and New Yearís.
Other destinations include London, ENG; Palmetto Bluff, SC; San Francisco, CA; St. Maarten; and WaterSound, FL.
The nights must be used during 1 trip. At least one person staying at the residence must be over the age of 25. You have 18 months from the date of purchase to use your Premiere Winnerís Choice trip. Restricted dates vary based on location and time of year. Airfare is not included.
Donated by Getaway2Give
11. Two Roundtrip Airline Tickets
Two (2) roundtrip airline tickets from Southwest. Includes 4 one-way Southwest flight e-passes which can be combined for roundtrip travel. Valid for domestic travel only. The Southwest flight e-passes are valid for travel on Southwest operated, published scheduled service only in the United States, its territories and its possessions, including Puerto Rico, unless specified above. While there are no blackout dates associated with the Southwest flight e-pass, travel must be completed by 08/04/2018.
Donated by Southwest Airlines
12. Your Dog Could Be a Therapy Dog
Do you think your dog could be a therapy dog? Creative Dog Training can help you get one step closer! This package includes Creative Dog Trainingís Basic Respect 101 Course, 10 days of Intensive Day Care, 4 private lessons, a leather leash, a long training line, training collar, training treats, and a training journal. We hope to see you and your dog in a future Hand in Paw Therapy Team training cycle!
Donated by Creative Dog Training
13. Two VIP Lady Antebellum Concert Tickets
Two (2) Live Nation VIP Lady Antebellum Concert Tickets at Oak Mountain Amphitheatre, Thursday, Sept 7th. Hits include ìNeed You Nowî and ìJust A Kissî. This package includes first tier tickets with VIP parking pass and VIP premium seats.
Donated by Live Nation
14. Your Pet Could Be the Face of Picasso Pets 2018
Do you have a special pet? Do you want everyone to know it? If so, this item is for you! A professional photograph of your pet will become the centerpiece of the marketing for Picasso Pets 2018. Your pet will be featured on t-shirts, TV commercials, programs, and other promotional materials.
15. Rabbit Mutant by Frank Fleming
Internationally acclaimed sculptor and southern artist Frank Fleming has produced an amazing body of work over the past four decades that continues to attract and excite museums, collectors, and the public alike. Flemingís work is highly individualized ñ his voice is authentic southern. Fleming is an artistic genius whose love of nature and mankind comes alive with his unique talent, whimsical insight, and craftsmanship. This piece features a rabbit head on a penguin body with turkey legs, and a human head staff.
Donated by Frank Fleming
16. Diamond Hoop Earrings
Beautiful pair of 14K white gold diamond pave hoops with 0.32 carat total weight.
Donated by Diamonds Direct
17. La Mer Skincare Party at Gus Mayer
Skincare class for six (6) with La Mer artists in a private room at Gus Mayer. Includes wine and hors díoeuvres, deluxe cosmetics bag for each person + deluxe cosmetic samples, gift card for $50 off $150 purchase in ready to wear (regular price only, not in cosmetics).
Donated by Gus Mayer
18. Blue Spring Water Tank for a Year
One-year supply of Blue Spring Water delivered directly to your home or office in 5-gallon containers. No heavy lifting! Package includes a bottom loading water dispenser with instant access to ice cold or piping hot water with a touch of a button. Blue Spring Water is natureís gift to you.
Donated by Blue Spring Water
|Homewood Sporting Goods
iiis an optical shop
J and S Produce
Jackson’s Bar & Bistro
Jill and Alvin Atlas
Jim n Nicks
Joan & Mac McLendon
John M. Harbert II
Kellum & Company
La Paz Restaurant
Little Italy’s Pizza & Pints
McWane Science Center
Moss Rock Taco & Tequila
Ms. Charz Elliott
Nothing Bundt Cakes
NY Butcher Shoppe
Oak Street Garden Shop
Ocean/5 Points Public
P. F. Chang’s
Pastry Art Bake Shoppe
Red Mountain Theatre
Regina Jewelry & Treasures
Rosemary & Greg Greaves
|Rowe’s Service Station
Russell Lands on Lake Martin
Saigon Noodle House
Smith Lake Paddle Boards
Stone Hollow Farmstead
Surin of Thailand
Taziki’s Mediterranean Cafe
The Cabin at the Lodge
The Dande Lion
The Filling Station
The Fitness Center
The Fresh Market
The Wine Loft
Urban Air Trampoline Park
Vecchia Pizzeria and
Wild Birds Unlimited
Blue Spring Water
Harbert Management Corp.
|Veterinary Eye Care||Gale Force Productions|
|Flemming Transfer||Creative Dog Training|
|Tito's Handmade Vodka||XCEL HR|
|UAB Medicine||Hot and Hot Fish Club|
|John 3:16||George W. Barber Jr. Foundation|
|Dr. Jim & Katie Lasker|
On Site Audio Visual
The Westervelt Co.
EBSCO Industries, Inc.
|Protective Life Corporation
Dog Days of Birmingham
Cahaba Brewing Company
Lynn & Benny LaRussa
Medical Properties Trust, Inc.
|Louise & Jim Abroms
Standifer’s Animal Clinic
Luke & Job Peel
YWCA Central Alabama
Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
Children’s of Alabama
St. Vincent’s Health System
Wayne & Cheryl Nelson
Dr. & Mrs. Joe B. LaRussa
|Maple & Gin Paper Co.
Susanne & Benjamin Webb
Eddie & Kay Aldridge
Dr. Peter & Kim Weinheimer
Britt Animal Hospital
The Caring Foundation
Mr. Henry Phillips &
Mrs. Georgie Mosely
- Have your pet paint a painting
- Watch a video here
- Donate a silent or live auction item (email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info)
- Become a sponsor (see information below)
- Volunteer at the event (click here to sign-up)
Interested in sponsoring Picasso Pets 2018? Your company will receive wonderful recognition and enjoy sponsorship perks. For more information, click here.
To stay up to date on the latest Picasso Pets news, follow us on social media.