Nonprofit storytelling can be a powerful tool to attract and motivate donors. A story can spur someone to take action because suddenly the cause is more than just an abstract idea—it’s a real situation affecting real people. Because of the identifiable victim effect, when you put faces to those being impacted rather than referring to general people groups, supporters can form genuine connections with your cause and be more willing to help. A deep emotional connection is a strong motivator to not only donate, but to become the ultimate champion for an organization: a loyal donor, fundraiser, and lifetime supporter.
To reap the benefits of storytelling, you need to know how to construct a story and effectively communicate it to your audience. This infographic walks you through the steps of telling a powerful impact story.
When you leverage storytelling to engage audiences and attract donors, those supporters are likely immediately more invested than if they had simply read a mission statement. Whether you choose to tell stories through written word, photo, video, or a combination, make sure you include the elements outlined above.
Check out the following posts to dig into more nonprofit storytelling tips, stellar examples, and to learn how your organization can grow through effectively telling your story.
- Essential Storytelling Tips From Nonprofit Experts
- Use Storytelling to Reach 56.52 Percent Year-Over-Year Growth
- 3 Elements of Effective Storytelling in Marketing
- 5 Nonprofit Storytelling Tips [VIDEO]
- The Science of Storytelling for Marketers
- 4 Beautiful Examples of Compelling Nonprofit Storytelling
To learn more about how top nonprofits use storytelling to drive donations and engagement, register for the Collaborative: Virtual Sessions. To get an idea of the content you can expect, check out these two storytelling videos from previous years:
- 4 Storytelling Tips from Charity: Water’s Brand Content Lead [VIDEO]
- Brand Storytelling: Lessons From Southwest Airlines [VIDEO]
Register for the virtual conference in the link below.