Kristin McLain's PaddleJam - Colorado
Kristin McLain's PaddleJam is an all-female fundraising event designed to empower and inspire women of all ages by providing a safe, supportive environment to get on the water. It is not a race, but a community event where women and girls paddle, and men SUPport. In 2016, nearly 100 women paddled to raise funds for positive mental wellness impact. All funds raised in 2017 benefit Foundation 1023 which provides mental wellness counseling and support for first responders dealing with post traumatic stress (PTS), illness or loss.
PaddleJam is paddled in honor of Star Flight nurse, Kristin McLain, who lost her life in a helicopter rescue accident in April 2015 in Austin, TX. Kristin was part of Travis County’s Star Flight crew for seven years and prior to that was with Flight For Life in Summit County, CO for 2 1/2 years. Kristin was instrumental in creating the first Get Out Girl™ PaddleJam in Austin, Texas in 2014. Kristin used paddling as a way of mentally and emotionally staying whole, while dealing with the stress and trauma of her career. In late 2016 a 501c3 charity, Foundation 1023, was created in her honor to provide positive mental wellness impact, confidentially funded counseling, peer training and outdoor events for first responders dealing with PTS, loss and illness. Kristin's badge number was "1023".
Kristin McLain's PaddleJam is a unique, non-competitive event where women can paddle distances of up to 8 miles. Held in Frisco, Colorado at the Dillon Reservoir, paddlers begin their journey at the Frisco Marina and can paddle as far as they choose and turn back at any distance or time of choice. This event is a 3.5-hour window of with boats on the water, to provide support, snacks, and hydration. You choose how long you want to be on the water or how far you paddle and then return to the Marina for the after party whenever you'd like. There is no pressure for distance, just pure comaraderie and inspiration on the water. Some paddle for fun and pleasure, some paddle for a goal and/or distance achieved - it is purely up to "what moves you".
Paddlers of all vessels welcome including SUP, kayak and canoe. PFDs are required, warming vests or tops are encouraged. Paddlers can launch own vessels or boards at the Marina or rent SUPs or kayaks as part of registration (limited boards/kayaks available). If we book out of rentals, individuals can resource own equipment and provide it for the event.
This event typically sells out! Registration is limited so sign up as soon as possible!
Your registration fee guarantees your spot and any rental equipment you reserve plus is credited to your fundraising page. Please keep in mind our goal is to provide confidential full-funded counseling for first responders. $70 provides one full hour of services. Your registration fee is already 1/4 of your goal! In addition to your registration fee, mandatory fundraising for an additional $210 is required (providing an additional three hours of counseling for a first responder). Upon registration, you will receive a custom fundraising page share with family, friends and businesses to help you achieve this goal. In order to paddle, you will need to have met the minimum goal of a total $280 (which includes your registration fee) by midnight July 15 or the difference will be due prior to Check-In on the morning of the event. All paddlers will be required to provide a credit card in case there is a balance due.
Paddlers who meet the minimum $280 fundraising requirements receive:
- Paddler's Mandatory Wristband
- Event Shirt
- Custom Finisher's Gift
- On The Lake SUPport, hydration and snack bars
- Water Bottle
- Post Event Lunch & Beverages
- 2 Drink Tickets (must be 21 to receive)
- Super Fun After-Party including silent auction, raffle, music, food, and drinks with fellow paddlers, volunteers, family and friends
ADDITIONAL FUNDRAISING TIERS
Did you know every 1.4 days a first responder takes their own life? Studies tell us that is mainly due to the stress and trauma of what they see and endure serving our communities. Most of us have never considered that a first responder deals with post traumatic stress just like our veterans do, day in and day out for their entire career. Our additional fundraising tiers are designed to provide incentive and reward for our paddlers to Put First Responders First and paddle for a bigger purpose.
- $500 - "Paddle's Up" - Receive amazing SWAG gift items! And a chance to win a Grasssticks Bamboo Paddle
- $1500 - "Chance To Win!" - Receive SWAG gift items PLUS a lottery ticket for an inflatable Jobe Paddleboard, backpack, pump, and paddle!
- $3500 - "Putting First Responders First" - PaddleJam AND PTSup - our inaugural co-ed 3 day, 2 night 60 mile Paddle Travis for PTS SUPport and Awareness for First Responders. This event is limited to the first 20 paddlers who RSVP and commit to the necessary fundraising goals. As a team, our goal is to raise a minimum of $60,000 - that is $1000 for every mile we paddle!
- $4000 - "Team 1023" - Commit your paddling passion to Foundation 1023 this summer and receive entry to all three 2017 paddle events! Train and stay in shape on the lake while preparing for one event in Colorado and two in Texas - while making a HUGE difference in the lives of First Responders! RSVP here for Team 1023 and we will help you coordinate your fundraising efforts.You will receive a special Team 1023 Paddler's hoodie as well as receive entry and Paddler's Swag Bag for:
- Kristin McLain's PaddleJam July 16, Lake Dillon, Colorado
- Kristin McLain's Get Out Girl PaddleJam, September 24, Lake Austin, Texas
- PTSup, October 20-22, Lake Travis, Texas
- $70/paddler providing own equipment (*pfd is required!)
- $90/paddler includes kayak, paddleboard or canoe + paddle and a pfd
*Boards, canoes and kayaks for paddlers renting them as part of registration will be launched and loaded for them at the event. No need for transport!
We are thrilled to have you part of the Foundation 1023 paddle family this season! Please contact us with any questions!
Thank You to Our Sponsors!