Lack of clean water, sanitation, and poor and inappropriate hygiene practices push already disadvantaged sections of the community into deeper illness, poverty, and indignity. These conditions limit the region’s economic growth and human development. By securing access to clean water and adequate sanitation facilities for everyone, irrespective of the difference in their living conditions, we can ensure that recommended hygiene practices are applied and a battle against all kinds of diseases is won. The result is improvement in people’s health and wellbeing.
Project - Mentei Kecil
Project cost: $8,500
Project location: Hamlet Muntei Kecil, Mentawai, West Sumatra, Indonesia
GPS coordinates: 03.01.249S 100.13.225E
1. Covered in the project costs: - Building materials and a solar cell energy pump. - Water and Sanitation (WatSan) technical consultant.
2. The objective is to install water source protection, 250 meters of high-density polyethylene (HDPE) pipes, and construct 1 water kiosk with 2 tap stand units. Water will be pumped from the river using a solar energy pump.
3. Water sources in Muntei Kecil are minimal. Community members mainly use water from the river.
4. The plan calls for the community to perform all construction with assistance (Gotong-royong). By building the capacity to maintain water and sanitation systems, the community will become empowered to co-manage these systems with local stakeholders. The community would then no longer need SURFAID’s assistance.
5. The Clean Water Project is aimed at contributing to the improved health condition of the community in the project sites through improved knowledge, attitude, and practices (KAP) related to water and sanitation.