EVENT SOLD OUT
PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR OUR NEXT SREENING DATE: WWW. LA12.ORG
PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED FOR THIS EVENT
Heart Screen New York is providing free heart screenings for children and young adults between the ages of 12 and 24 years old that can detect risk factors and conditions associated with sudden cardiac arrest. It's safe, quick, non-invasive and painless! The heart screening consists of:
- Personal & family health history
- Blood pressure reading
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Echocardiogram for those with abnormal ECG or other risk factors
- Results reviewed by Board certified cardiologist
- CPR/AED education
Early detection saves lives!
How to register:
1. go to upper right corner on home page
2. Enter number of students you wish to register in quantity box
3. click Red box Order now
4. Enter student information
Screenings are FREE.
Donations are not expected but appreciated to help defray screening costs and fund future screenings.
Forms to be downloaded, completed and signed by parent/guardian and MUST be brought in on day of screening:
- Heart History Questionnaire & Consent (English)
- Heart History Questionnaire & Consent (Spanish)
What can my child expect?
What is Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA)?
- SCA is the condition in which the electrical system to the heart malfunctions, resulting in a disruption of the heart's normal rhythm and the loss of its ability to deliver blood to the body. If untreated, this abrupt disruption results in sudden death.
Who is at risk for SCA?
- SCA can strike persons of any age, gender or race, including those that seem in good health and at peak physical fitness
- Most youth with undetected heart conditions typically appear very healthy
- Many youth never exhibit any signs or symptoms until SCA occurs
- SCA is the leading cause of death in young athletes
What is an electrocardiogram (ECG)?
- An ECG is a simple, painless, non-invasive test that measures the electrical activity of the heart.
Know the Warning Signs and Symptoms of a Heart Condition:
- fainting (syncope) or seizure during or after physical activity or from emotional excitement, emotional distress or startle
- chest pain or discomfort/racing heartbeat
- unusual shortness of breath
- unusual fatigue/tiredness
- dizziness/lightheadedness during or after physical activity
- family history of heart disease
- family history of unexpected sudden death during physical activity or during a seizure, or any other unexplained sudden death of an otherwise healthy family member under age 50
Consult a physician promptly if you or someone you know has one or more of these signs and/or symptoms
Heart Screen New York is a program sponsored and developed by
Louis J. Acompora Memorial Foundation : www.la12.org
Dominic A. Murray 21 Memorial Foundation : www.domheart21.org