LGBTQ+ Organizations to Support This Pride Month
Each June, the United States comes together for Pride Month to celebrate the history and achievements of the LGBTQ+ community. The colorful Pride parades and epic parties associated with the celebration may be the first things that come to mind. Still, we should recognize how this month honors the history and ongoing fight for justice among LGBTQ+ people and allies.
The last few decades mark incredible growth, love, and acceptance of diversity, but not without challenges to feel seen and accepted. The social sector has stepped up in a big way to support this significant progress, moving away from prejudice and injustices that face lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, questioning, and transgender people across America.
We should indeed keep calm in the face of difference, and live our lives in a state of inclusion and wonder at the diversity of humanity.
At Classy, we stand beside the LGBTQ+ nonprofit organizations making a significant impact. You’ll get to see some of the special initiatives happening this June to celebrate Pride Month and more ways to get involved year-round.
Celebrating LGBTQ+ Organizations During Pride Month
What is Pride Month?
LGBTQ+ Pride Month typically falls in June and serves as a time for celebrations, protections, and commemorations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, questioning, and transgender community.
In 1969, the Stonewall riots began as a series of gay liberation protests. The timing of Pride Month represents the anniversary of those events in a positive and future-looking light—although Pride celebrations now extend throughout the calendar to continue bringing light to the LGBTQ+ community.
What does the acronym LGBTQ+ stand for?
LGBTQ+ is an abbreviation for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and/or questioning, plus other sexual and gender minorities. While individuals may feel aligned and connected to various adjectives based on their unique experience, gender identity, and sexual orientation, the LGBTQ+ nomenclature is an inclusive way to reference, celebrate, and honor the greater community.
How to Celebrate Pride
Pride is a wonderful time to get involved with LGBTQ+ organizations to learn more. Here’s a quick list of ways to celebrate:
- Browse social media human rights campaigns that inspire you.
- Explore your local community for opportunities to advocate for LGBTQ+ rights.
- Research the history and accomplishments of the LGBTQ+ community.
- Learn about ongoing efforts led by the National LGBTQ Task Force.
- Make an impact with a donation to an LGBTQ+ organization.
- Fundraise on behalf of an LGBTQ+ organization.
- Attend events that help you learn and grow alongside LGBTQ+ people.
6 LGBTQ+ Organizations to Support This Pride Month
1. The Trevor Project
Mission: The Trevor Project’s mission is to end suicide among lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning young people.
Check out some ways to celebrate Pride with The Trevor Project:
- Contribute to supporting LGBTQ young people and showing them that they matter
- Join your local Pride march to support LGBTQ+ youth, families, and allies to find joy in advocacy and self-expression in a safe, supportive environment. The Trevor Project will be in the New York City and Los Angeles parades!
- Join Trevor’s 52-Mile Pride Ride Challenge, a virtual fundraising challenge encouraging people to commit to logging 52 miles in any way it feels best to move, all in an effort to support Trevor’s mission to end suicide among LGBTQ young people
- Explore Trevor’s resources, such as articles, resources, and guides to learn about preventing suicide, supporting LGBTQ young people, and more
2. Radiant Health Centers
Mission: Radiant Health Centers’ mission is to provide compassionate and comprehensive health services to all underserved individuals in Orange County, with a special focus on the LGBTQ+ community and those living with and affected by HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.
Radiant Health Centers will host several events supporting more individuals to regain their independence through comprehensive care throughout the month of June.
A thoughtful array of fundraising and awareness campaigns include:
- An annual LGBTQA+ makers market to explore LGBTQA+ makers, artists, crafters and vendors and make purchases that benefit Radiant Health Centers
- A Pride kickoff happy hour to get ready for Pride weekend with cocktails and appetizers among friends
- The Midsummer Night’s Dream Gala happens June 3 at an outdoor venue that feels like a Shakespearean forest to raise money for improving LGBTQA+ health care equity and HIV care in the community
3. The LGBT Community Center of the Desert
Mission: The LGBT Community Center of the Desert’s mission is to provide an open and welcoming environment for all members of the LGBTQ family. Through individual lived experiences and collective power, the nonprofit hosts community events, assistance programs, and various other forms of support in its efforts to create a loving community where everyone belongs.
The LGBT Community Center of the Desert offers a space where everyone belongs and can be unconditionally themselves. The team lives their values of integrity, equity, and joy through events and resources throughout the year, extending into Pride Month for anyone who feels called to learn more and get involved.
This June, The LGBT Community Center of the Desert will offer:
- Yoga groups
- Community food bank distributions
- Book clubs
- Support groups for parents of gender-expansive youth
- Women’s and men’s chats
- Caregivers support groups
- Music and art events for community members
- LGBTQ+ hangouts for young people
Mission:SAGE is the world’s largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of LGBTQ+ older people.
In partnership with its constituents and allies, SAGE works to achieve a high quality of life for LGBTQ+ older people, supports and advocates for their rights, fosters a greater understanding of aging in all communities, and promotes positive images of LGBTQ+ life in later years. This Pride Month, SAGE will host several community events to invite more passionate advocates to get involved.
Pride Month community events will include:
- 31st Annual Fire Island Pines Celebration on June 3, 2023. Celebrating SAGE in the Pines and honoring Joe Conforti, Colin Joyner, Ryan Espinoza & Iman Le Caire
- Sage & Friends will follow on June 10, 2023 with an open bar, passed hors d’oeuvres, and fabulous company to keep the celebrations going
5. Family Equality Council
Mission: The Family Equality Council’s mission is to ensure everyone is free to find, form, and sustain their families by advancing equality for the LGBTQ+ community.
Family Equality Council gives LGBTQ+ families the public education and support they need to become a strong voice through outreach and legislative actions. Pride Month will be an extension of the help it offers throughout the year.
This June, a virtual hub for LGBTQ+ families will feature:
- Trans, nonbinary, and gender-nonconforming parent meetups
- A blog and newsletter for families to get new information
- Alerts to take action in Congress and legislation for equal rights
6. Gay Men’s Health Crisis
Mission: The Gay Men’s Health Crisis (GMHC) mission is to be the world’s first HIV/AIDS service organization, working to end the AIDS epidemic and uplift the lives of all affected.
GMHC is determined to end AIDS and enable more individuals to live life fully. This Pride Month, the organization will open its doors to supporters everywhere to fuel its efforts toward its mission.
Pride Month activities and events will include:
- The Latex Ball is a free event open to the community that offers HIV and sexually transmitted infection testing while enjoying a celebration of different music genres and musical artists
- Advocacy opportunities include supporting the 340B Drug Pricing Program, which allows safety-net providers, such as community health centers, to purchase deeply discounted drugs and provide essential financial support services to low-income individuals
Expanding Impact on Classy
LGBTQ+ organizations do the work that brings communities together. With Classy’s comprehensive fundraising platform, these organizations can connect with supporters who believe in and will support them for the long term.
On Classy, LGBTQ+ organizations can build supporter relationships that result in more funding and impact through:
- Fundraising events to engage supporters live and online
- Peer-to-peer fundraising to give voice to more passionate people
- Crowdfunding solutions that bring communities together
- Website donations to encourage fundraising all year
- Recurring giving options that spark a chain reaction of lasting impact
“50 Quotes From the LGBTQ+ Community to Help You Celebrate Pride,” Woman’s Day, accessed May 17, 2023, https://www.womansday.com/life/g32858887/lgbtq-pride-quotes/.
Unlock More Giving
Subscribe to the Classy Blog
Get the latest fundraising tips, trends, and ideas in your inbox.
Thank you for subscribing
You signed up for emails from Classy