The Ultimate Donor Conversion Checklist for Nonprofits
As the year comes to an end, nonprofits enter their most critical fundraising phase: the year-end giving season. During this impactful period, converting potential donors into committed supporters can make or break a nonprofit’s ability to deliver on annual goals.
Based on findings from Classy’s annual report, The State of Modern Philanthropy, we’ve organized a comprehensive guide to crafting strategies that will not only define your year-end success but also lay the foundation for sustained philanthropic impact.
Learn how to empower your community to take action through user-friendly donation processes that result in greater levels of online giving. And if you prefer a PDF checklist, we’ve got you covered.
Step 1: Encourage Event Attendees to Give
Lock in the high conversion potential of seasonal fundraising events by giving attendees an incredible experience. With thoughtful planning, you can encourage generosity before, during, and after your fundraising event.
Offer Event Attendees Multiple Ways to Give
Start Your Event with a Streamlined Registration Process
- Provide various ticket types to appeal to any registrant. This may include group, individual, VIP, early-bird, or general admission tickets.
- Share promotional discount codes to drive registration spikes.
- Include donation and registration buttons on your fundraising event donation site.
- Give donors an option to fundraise to cover registration costs for your special event. Mobilize them to achieve success by setting up branded peer-to-peer fundraising pages to use.
Drive Donations on the Day of Your Event
- Host a virtual or in-person auction on Classy Live for seamless mobile bidding and paddle raise offerings.
- Streamline a live auction using reliable online auction software to engage more guests.
- Partner with local artists to offer various items to bid on.
- Encourage direct donations by promoting fund-a-need items.
- Call on first-time and recurring donors to support specific research, projects, or goals.
- Sell additional fixed-price items or merchandise online or on-site to boost your fundraising efforts.
- Prompt online donations through a text-to-donate appeal at key event moments.
DID YOU KNOW? Over 92% of virtual and in-person fundraising event attendees are likely to donate in addition to any registration or participation costs.Explore Hybrid Event Management Software for Today’s Top Nonprofits
Remind Event Attendees Why Their Contributions Matter
Provide Tangible Reminders of Progress toward Your Goal
- Display goals, visuals, and donor shoutouts on a real-time fundraising thermometer.
- Elevate communities you serve in event signage.
- Tap into your audience’s emotions with inspiring speeches from industry leaders, staff, or beneficiaries.
- Encourage supporters, staff, and volunteers to initiate meaningful conversations with fellow attendees, whether in person or through virtual breakout rooms.
DID YOU KNOW? Ticketed events bring in the most donations above $1,000 compared to all other campaign types.
Ensure donors bypass all possible barriers to conversion once you catch their attention. We’ll show you how to reduce points of friction by streamlining your checkout flow.
Simplify Your Donation Page for Increased Donor Engagement
Keep It Clear and Concise
- Prompt quicker checkout with an embedded giving method.
- Stick to minimal form fields, gathering only necessary information.
- Offer suggested donation amounts to guide donors’ decisions.
- Lean into powerful storytelling to bring your mission to life.
- Provide clear guidance with FAQs and instructional text.
- Ensure donors can complete their gifts from any device.
Greet Donors with Flexible Payment Options
Deliver on Donors’ Preferences
- Toggle the Digital Wallet option on in your Classy Manager payments portal for customers using Classy Pay.
- Attract diverse donor demographics by enabling cryptocurrency donations on all donation forms.
- Provide an ACH bank transfer option to double transaction sizes.
- Give donors an option to select their preferred gift size.
Step 3: Establish a Predictable Revenue Stream with Recurring Giving
Convert recurring donors to secure sustainable revenue and safeguard your ability to plan for the future. Let’s look at what drives repeat donations and how to unlock them.
Highlight Recurring Gift Options on Every Donation Page
Make Recurring Giving the Obvious Option
- Launch a branded recurring donations program with a custom donation page.
- Tell the story of what each recurring gift allowed you to accomplish.
- Share the value of extending a one-time gift into a recurring membership.
- Offer multiple recurring gift frequencies, like weekly, monthly, or quarterly.
- Encourage higher gifts with an ACH bank transfer option.
- Tailor appeals with your most popular frequencies and gift amounts.
Fuel Ongoing Conversion with Top-Tier Technology
The outcome of this year-end season will shape nonprofits’ ongoing ability to enact meaningful change. In this pursuit, leveraging cutting-edge technology is critical. That’s where Classy’s fundraising platform shines.
Flexibility in the Classy platform enables us to test, iterate, and execute new fundraising strategies.
Engineered for conversion, Classy amplifies the impact of year-end campaigns while setting nonprofits on a course for sustained success. As you navigate the philanthropic landscape, let Classy be your ally, ensuring your mission gets heard and embraced and catalyzes lasting change.
Copy Editor: Ayanna Julien
Boost Conversions with Classy's Fundraising Platform
Subscribe to the Classy Blog
Get the latest fundraising tips, trends, and ideas in your inbox.
Thank you for subscribing
You signed up for emails from Classy