PODCAST: How the Wilderness Inspired This Veteran to Become a Nonprofit Director
Post traumatic stress, a lack of purpose, feeling overwhelmed—these are just some of the challenges that veterans face as they transition into civilian life. Stacy Bare was no exception.
Before he became the director of Sierra Club Outdoors, Stacy served in Iraq. His transition out of the army was marked by drug and alcohol addictions and depression. But the more he got outside, the more his experiences in the wilderness helped him to see the healing power of the outdoors.
Always one to look and move forward, Stacy is now a leader in one of the largest grassroots environmental organizations in the U.S.
In this episode of the Classy Podcast, he talks about:
- How spending time outdoors can help veterans
- The role veterans play in our country’s conservation efforts
- How lessons learned in the wilderness influence his time in the office
- The many mentors who empowered him
- How being a new parent has changed his perspective of the world around him
Resources Mentioned on the Show: